Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Travel Troubles


Sorry everyone that it’s been a while since I could update.  The whole week before I left was full of seeing people for the last time in a while and eating TONS (literally) of Tex-Mex.  On Sunday, I went to church and it was a great send off message from the Lord and the prayers from the mission board were super encouraging and strengthening.  Right after church I ate Moe’s again and headed straight to the airport for the longest travel day I ever had.

The plan:  Fly at 5 from Charlotte to Munich, get there at 8:05 (about a 9 hour flight)  Munich time and get on the flight to Stockholm by 9:05 then our boss would be picking us up and get lunch with the rest of our team that was already there.

The reality:  So we leave a little after 5 but the flight was thought to go a little faster and smoother, so we 
would still be early.  Everything went fine until we were just over 2 hours out.  We got served dinner and I was enjoying my chicken teriyaki when things started getting a little shaky.  “Oh whatever, normal turbulence” I thought, when all of a sudden our food goes flying all over the cabin.  Juice was all over me and my teammate that I was travelling with, my left shoe was filled with salad, my dessert was MIA.  It was chaos.  It took about an hour for them to be able to half clean up our seats and the floor.  It was about that time when we found out that 2 people had been pretty seriously injured, even though right after the air pocket they were only mildly hurt.  Their symptoms were progressing so we turned around to take a 2 hour flight back to Boston.  A couple of people actually got off of the plane and just decided they were done with this whole flight.  Me and my teammate had no way to let any of our team know we weren’t going to make it there, all we could do was borrow someones phone and hope one of our friends would answer at midnight and email our boss for us about our lateness.  After about an hour of moving the injured persons off the plane and refueling/cleaning the plane we were off again to Munich.  Lesson learned: always wear your seatbelt on an airplane so you don’t hit your head on the ceiling after some insane turbulence.

We got to Munich at about 2 and they had rebooked us for a 3 PM flight.  It was the last flight to Stockholm that day so that was such a huge blessing that we could get there that day.  I was able to get a facebook message out to my boss about what time we would get there by using some of the computers available in the Munich airport (which only allow you on certain international websites and everything was in German, including keyboards that have an emoticon button).  So we got into Stockholm around 6 and headed to meet our boss and get to our current housing locations.  Right now I’m staying with one of the couples from our team.  Be praying that I can find some housing soon! 

Also, thank you to everyone that has sent me facebook posts and messages and emails.  It means a ton I have very limited internet access right now but should be getting an internet card for my computer soon so that I can communicate with you all!

Ceiling:




With Love from Sweden,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment